Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Do dogs go to heaven?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to gowhere they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935


When I was a freshman in high school, I got a puppy. A cute, warm, cuddly little dachshund named Tater. Instantly he became part of our family...daddy adores him and he's sure he's the toughest dachshund he's ever seen...mom likes to have him curl in her lap for a tummy rub...and I just love him.

He is such a smart dog! He can catch treats in the air when I toss them to him...he can sit...roll over...beg...and he gives the best puppy kisses.

As he grew older, he grew to be more of a protector. He's killed cats, birds and even a snake once...he is one tough little dog.

I can't even begin to tell you how much this dog means to me. The morning I left for college, Tater was four years old. I was sad about leaving...but I held the tears in...I had a four hour drive to be sad, I didn't need to start crying before I'd left the driveway...but then, I went to say goodbye to Tater. I took him his favorite treat (he loved hot dogs) and I sat on the porch and just cried into his furry neck...and he just let me hold him as I began to say goodbye to my childhood...and now, I must say goodbye to him.

He's a sick little dog, and it doesn't look like it's going to get any better...and I know he's in pain and I hate that...so Tater...I love you little guy...I hope there are lots of cats to chase in Heaven...and I'll see you when I get there...

No comments:

Thank you

Readers~It means so much to me that you read what's written here. Writing is such a wonderful outlet for me and I truly love to do it, but it means a great deal to me that there are people out there that read what I write. Your comments, both positive and constructive, are treasured by me. I guess it's just nice to know that someone is listening. So thank you...and I love you :)