Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Cinderella revisited

Grand Dame: And though Cinderella and her prince did live happily ever after, the point, gentleman, is that they lived.

Happily ever after...it's a thing of fairy tales and daydreams, but it's not so conducive to every day life. That's not to say that we can't or won't be happy. Not at all. I just don't think the fairy tale form of happily ever after is realistic. And, really, who cares if Cinderella lived a perfect life? The important part of her story is that she LIVED.

And not just had a pulse. No, I think this girl kicked up her heels and had a good 'ol time. I think she danced in the rain with Prince Charming and made out in the back of the movie theater and sometimes wore her skirt a little too short. I think she had beautiful babies and saw their beauty even when they were not such perfect children. I bet there were times that Prince Charming came home to find the house a mess, dinner still in the oven...and his happy wife and silly children in the backyard having a mud fight.

This is what happily ever after is. The mythical, one dimensional happily ever after that exists in fairy tales is boring. It's unoriginal and way too predictable. It may be happy, but it sure isn't full.

I'm holding out for my own happily ever after...complete with barking dog, laughing children and a husband who loves me even when my hair's a mess...

No comments:

Thank you

Readers~It means so much to me that you read what's written here. Writing is such a wonderful outlet for me and I truly love to do it, but it means a great deal to me that there are people out there that read what I write. Your comments, both positive and constructive, are treasured by me. I guess it's just nice to know that someone is listening. So thank you...and I love you :)