Monday, September 11, 2006

Hug o' war

"I will not play at tug o' war. I'd rather play at hug o' war, where everyone hugs instead of tugs, where everyone giggles, and rolls on the rug, where everyone kisses, and everyone grins, and everyone cuddles, and everyone wins." ~Shel Silverstein

What a childlike way to look at love. Silverstein presents a love that is uncomplicated and pure. A love that is true and perfect and more than beautiful.

In relationships, I find myself trying to tug. I'm impatient; that's just what I do. I tug a little here, and I tug a little there, hoping to pull out the words or actions or thoughts I think are lurking somewhere within this other person. Don't misunderstand, I don't do it out of malice, or to be manipulative; no, I do it out of impatience, and sometimes insecurity. I want so badly to read the end of my story, or "our" story, that I want to rush through the chapters of our relationship to get there, not because I'm in a hurry for some long-term committment, but because I just want to know that it's all going to be okay in the end, which leads me to another quote:

"Everything will be okay in the end; if it's not okay, then it's not the end."

I've used that beautiful piece of advice on more friends than I can count, but really, I've never used it myself. Maybe because I didn't take the time to really think about what it meant. Maybe my version of okay isn't God's version. And that's great, I'm pretty sure I'll like His version best, but gosh darn it, I'm so impatient.

And I hate it.

So I have to try to slow down and enjoy the ride, because the ride I'm on is pretty great, and I'm kinda crazy about it.

I have to try to forget my version of okay and just go with it.

So I'm just going to play hug o' war and let it all be okay in the end.

No comments:

Thank you

Readers~It means so much to me that you read what's written here. Writing is such a wonderful outlet for me and I truly love to do it, but it means a great deal to me that there are people out there that read what I write. Your comments, both positive and constructive, are treasured by me. I guess it's just nice to know that someone is listening. So thank you...and I love you :)