Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Every once in a while...

My best friend's engaged.

Wow.

I knew this was coming soon, I just hadn't prepared myself for it. I'm so happy for her. He's probably the most perfect guy for her, and I know he adores her and he'll be kind to her and he'll take care of her and she'll never want for anything.

But things will never, ever be the same.

I'm struck with conflicting emotions; tears are falling for many different reasons. I love her. We have our problems, but she's kind of like that old t-shirt you have in the back of your closet; you don't wear it much, don't get it out of the closet that often, but when you put it on, it's like going home. There's a warmth that surrounds you and countless memories come flooding back, and you smile. That's what K is to me. The person that's known me the longest and loves me in spite of it. So I'm kind of sad that part of our childhood, our youth will be over when she says "I do." I know there are so many more beautiful memories we will make together, I'm just a creature of habit, a resistant of change.

And, she and D started dating about 2 weeks before ex-boyfriend and I did. K and D got engaged on their 2 year anniversary. It makes me realize how much time I wasted on someone that I thought was the one. It doesn't make me miss ex-boyfriend, it just puts time into perspective, and maybe makes me a little sad.

On the other hand, she deserves all the happiness that I know D will bring her. He's so good to her, loves her with all his heart and would do anything to make her happy. He's absolutely perfect for her, and I'm so incredibly happy that they found each other. She deserves this. She deserves to be happy. And she deserves to have her best friend be happy for her. And I am...the tears I'm crying are happy...the really are, there just might be a sad one that sneaks in every once in a while...

No comments:

Thank you

Readers~It means so much to me that you read what's written here. Writing is such a wonderful outlet for me and I truly love to do it, but it means a great deal to me that there are people out there that read what I write. Your comments, both positive and constructive, are treasured by me. I guess it's just nice to know that someone is listening. So thank you...and I love you :)